Planning Your Trip to Hawksnest
Keeping warm while snow tubing at Hawksnest!
Dressing appropriately for tubing is a necessity for safety and comfort. Here are some tips for staying warm and getting the most out of your tubing adventure at Hawksnest Snow Tubing Park!
- Bundle up with multiple layers! Start with your lightest layer on the bottom and build up to your heavy outer layer for the most control. You can always remove them as the day warms up. (Just remember, our snow tubing ticket must be attached and visible all day!)
- Add a waterproof layer while tubing. There is a high probability of being covered in snow while participating and wetness makes you highly susceptible to the cold. Due to COVID-19 we are NOT offering any bib rentals this year.
- Always wear a hat – especially one that covers your ears. Most body heat is lost through your noggin!
- Make sure your gloves are warm, waterproof, and properly sized – if they’re too loose, you might get snow inside, but too tight and you might have a hard time holding the tube! Fingers, like other extremities, are very susceptible to frostbite and are one of the first areas where you feel the cold creeping in.
- Make sure to protect your eyes with either sunglasses or goggles while tubing. Not only does the sunlight reflect off the snow, but the wind can also irritate your eyes.
- Keep your feet and ankles warm with long, thick socks. Like with fingers, protecting your extremities is your first line of defense against the cold.
- Sundays may have different tubing sessions during holiday weekends.
- Holiday Dates: Nov 23, Dec 20-Jan 4, Jan 20 & 21, Feb 17 & 18. Closed Christmas Day
Tips for Traveling to Hawksnest
Hawksnest Snow Tubing Park is located in Watauga and Avery County and accessible by NC Highway 105. Please check road conditions before traveling to ensure safe travel by calling the resort. Google map directions
Plan Ahead & Book Online
As one of the premier winter activities in North Carolina and the surrounding region, tubing sessions at Hawksnest sell out fast. If you’re arranging a group trip, fill out this form, book your tickets, and mark your calendars well in advance for a fantastic day of winter adventure! Keep in mind, tickets are available online until midnight the day before the session. Day-of tickets are sold on a first come, first served basis.